ENNA was founded in 2007 through a bilateral exchange between two Swedish Academies and one German, namely:
• the University of Borås
• the University of Gothenburg
• the University of Witten/ Herdecke.
The topic patient safety and nursing was chosen as a first field of exploration. This is a hot item internationally and offers a variety of subtopics. In nursing science patient safety is only scarcely found and needs more attention.
The first conference on Patient Safety and Nursing was organized in 2009 in Witten/Herdecke, Germany. A second conference on the same topic was organized in 2011 in Zurich, Switzerland.
The official founding of the society was in 2012, the residence is Düsseldorf, Germany.
• Optimizing the quality of nursing care for peo- ple in need of care and their families
• Knowledge development and dissemination through international exchange
• Enhance the quality of nursing education
• Meetings (sharing information)
• International conferences
• Exchanging programs for mainly teaching
• Involvement in shared research projects
• Publications and position statements
• Mutual consultation in academic areas
Main topics realizing the activities
• Patient safety
• Quality in nursing
• Nursing education
• Nurses competence
• Nursing science
• Nursing theory development
• Nursing research
• Nursing practice development
• Developing a “European Master of Nursing”
For further information, please contact the president:
Prof. Dr. Andrea Thiekötter
Board of ENNA
Prof. Dr. Angelika Zegelin